Benefits for OEM
When used for triggering track side equipment, the latest Frauscher wheel sensor RSR110 offers numerous benefits spanning a range of different types of equipment applications.
- Highly precise
- High uptime and reliability
- Open interface for easy implementation
- Technical service and engineering support
- Low power consumption
- Quick and easy installation
Frauscher wheel sensors, driven by an advanced dual-system architecture, detect the exact location of a wheel using a highly sophisticated algorithm that generates a wheel center pulse and is able to provide accurate measurement information about the speed of a train passing by. The pulse is sent, regardless of travel direction, when an axle or wheel is precisely between two wheel sensor systems. As the wheel passes the middle of the sensor, it triggers track side equipment, such as AEI card readers and vision monitoring, at the precise moments they’re needed.
The RSR110 provides information in the form of load-independent current values. This enables the detection of an axle, direction, speed, axle count, wheel center and wheel diameter to be interpreted from the analogue signal curve. The damping-dependent current signal can be evaluated freely according to the user's own requirements. The sample rate and threshold values for triggering also can be freely selected depending on the specific application.
High Uptime and Reliability
The combination of different inductive operating principles and the robust design of the RSR110 guarantee high availability, even when subjected to extreme mechanical, electromagnetic, climatic or environmental interference. Features that support high uptime include:
- Robust design: Our wheel sensors can function in the most remote areas under severe conditions because they are unaffected by extreme environmental conditions, including ice, heavy rain, hail, heat, snow and flooding.
- Highly EMI resistant: Our sensor technology is highly reliable, even when subjected to numerous extreme types of electromagnetic interference caused by various potential factors, including eddy currents, magnetic track brakes or other onboard devices.
- Unaffected by cross bonding of rails: Our wheel sensors are unaffected by track return current, therefore eliminating the need for insulated track joints and opening up the option for using highly stable welded joints. Also, all types of ties, including wood, steel and concrete, can be used without any effect on the detection system.
- Independent of ballast resistance: Various environmental conditions that can cause leaks on the tracks, including wet stones, leaves, dirt and dust, negatively affect track circuits. Our axle counters are independent of the ballast, making them unaffected by these conditions.
- CENELEC standards: All of our production processes comply with CENELEC standards, ensuring process quality of the highest caliber. The availability of RSR110 is A = 99.99996% or > 1,000,000 h MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures).
Open Interface for Easy Implementation
An open interface allows our wheel sensors to be easily integrated into an existing electronic system. Evaluation can take place via a PLC or a microcontroller, for example. The interface is designed to give users full control of integrating the sensors into their system. It also offers users the ability to adapt the interface to fit the needs of the operation. Since a separate evaluation board is not required, the reduced number of hardware components means less space is required and less power is consumed.
Technical Service and Engineering Support
Each of our sensors comes with full documentation that allows users to seamlessly install and configure sensors to their exact specifications. Technical service, engineering support and product training ensure a perfect integration of the wheel sensor into the track side equipment. System integrators benefit from individual integration and our expert insights to optimize the system.
Low Power Consumption
Our wheel sensor operates on low power at just 2 x 40 mW. In addition to low operation costs, this enables the use of solar panels in remote areas and batteries for mobile equipment power supply.
Quick and Easy Installation
All Frauscher wheel sensors can be installed, dismounted and replaced very easily and quickly using the following methods:
- Patented rail claw: Frauscher has consistently adopted the use of rail claws in the mounting of its wheel sensors in order to make use of these sensors more flexible and cost-effective. Both the vignole rail claws and grooved rail claws are characterized by optimum flexibility and precision in mounting. Sensors can be aligned vertically or horizontally from a remote location, allowing for optimum sensor position and performance. The adjustment of sensors in vertical and horizontal directions is a labor-saving feature, and the ability to quickly adjust as rail wear occurs ensures that sensors are not hit by wheels and extends their long life on the track.
- Automated Calibration: Calibrating the wheel sensor can be done within 20 seconds using an automated procedure and our adjustment and maintenance box (AMB). There is no mechanical intervention needed. Furthermore, it’s also possible to complete this process remotely. No re-calibration is needed in case of an interruption of the power supply. This saves significant time and reduces maintenance resources considerably.
- Cable connections: The connection of the wheel sensor cable to the cable system can be implemented via a trackside connection box. This contains nothing more than a clamping terminal, which does not require the use of any additional electronics in the vicinity of the track. Alternatively, it is also possible to connect the sensor cable to the system using a plug-in connection.
- Different versions of sensor cable: The plug-in connection cables for the RSR110 are available in a variety of versions. The sheath is available either as a tried-and-tested EPDM protection tube, a reinforced corrugated tube or a metal protection tube. Other specific types are also possible for use under particular conditions. In addition, it is possible to vary the length of the cable according to requirements.